Nowadays the healthcare industry offered ample of opportunity and career growth options. As a trained phlebotomist you can work in any reputed hospitals, clinics, laboratories, community health centers, blood donation centers or any other healthcare center. Though the job role of phlebotomists is quite challenging as they have to work on high-pressure situations at the same is it is fun and rewarding too. Getting the chance to meet patients of different walk of life all to differ from others in term of age, gender, profession, medical history, health condition, testing requirements, etc. itself is satisfying for some aspiring phlebotomists.
In-depth knowledge of phlebotomy
The primary responsibility of phlebotomists is to draw blood from patients for medical testing. Blood provides a wealth of information regarding the health condition of the patients, and nowadays most of the health practitioners rely on blood reports for understanding the cause of ailments and then decide the treatment procedure best suited for patients. Hence to outshine in career and smooth working experience phlebotomists need to have in-depth knowledge about all the essential phlebotomy procedures otherwise minor negligence could have a huge negative impact on both patients and the reputation of the healthcare centers.
Always on demand
Venipuncture can be performed by doctors, nurses, nurse aides, laboratory technicians and phlebotomists. The duty of phlebotomists is not limited to only venipuncture; professional phlebotomists are expected to perform a series of essential procedures with perfection. Some of the common roles and responsibilities are:
- Ensures the right test for right best by verifying patients’ details
- Preparing and comforting patients by explaining the procedure
- Updating patient records
- Cleaning and sterilizing equipment
- Selection of right site for puncture
- Performing venipuncture as smooth as possible so that patients do not feel the pain
- Choosing right color phlebotomy test tubes as per test requirements
- Labeling the tubes with correct information
- Disposing the used devices immediately on containers
- Ensures a clean and healthy working environment
- Delivering the specimens promptly to destination
Study thoroughly about additives function
Every phlebotomist is aware of the terms order of draw and cross contamination. The blood test reports accuracy largely depends on the efficiently of the phlebotomist to choose the color tubes as per their additives presence. To avoid erroneous results shake the sample well with the additives. It is highly recommended that phlebotomist does first memorize by heart which color top contain which additive.
- non-additive tube (red top)
- SST (red-gray or gold top)
- Sodium heparin (dark green top)
- PST (light green top)
- EDTA (lavender top)
- ACDA or ACDB (pale yellow top)
- Oxalate/fluoride (light gray top)
Enhance people skills
Most of the healthcare professionals interact with a broad range of people on a regular basis, and hence it is desirable that they possess pleasing personality so that every patient feel confident and relaxed in their company. For phlebotomists developing interpersonal skills such as self-confidence, strong work ethics, good listening ability, sound communication skills, ability to accept constructive feedback, etc. will be immensely beneficial in convincing patients to cooperate during the procedure and career growth.